Sunday, February 8, 2009

Avocado Sandwich

This is hubby;s favorite!

Pretty easy sandwich, got good high quality fats and protein...although the bread is a carb, try to get good quality bread so that it isn't that bad...

First, take two pieces of bread (I like to toast the bread first - DH likes it untoasted - since this sandwich was for hom, I left it untoasted)...then sppon out avocado onto one side of the bread (since I'm in FL, I use florida avocadoes, cause they are cheap and really good!)...




Then I make a sauce using yogurt (I use Fage - fat free) and Sun dried tomato pesto, and spread that on the other side of the bread...





Then I put a few slices of tomato on one side, and some spinach on the other...



DH just went for a long run, and was worn out, so I wanted to give him some protein, so I included tempeh (tempeh is a soy product fermented with bacteria - sounds gross but its really good...it is not overly processed like tofu is, so its not "bad" in the way that processed tofu is...I get these patties from a local grocery store, and they are made locally also - this is tough to find if you aren't in a vegetarian friendly town) in the sandwich - personally, unless I'm in need of protein, I like it better without the tempeh, but he likes it better with...I just boil it, then put it on the sandwich...





When I have the tempeh in it, it is a huge sandwich, so I then stick a toothpick in either side, and then cut it in halves...




Anyway, a good quick sandwich - enjoy!!

No comments: