Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Best raw soup ever - Carrot Ginger Soup

Last year, I got on a big raw food kick...I ate only vegan raw food for about a month...some things were really hard to make (and super time consuming), others were not...this is my absolute FAVORITE of any of them, and I'm telling you - it sounds so weird, but it is beyond delicious!

Anyway, this is vegan (no dairy) and raw - not cooked at all, so its more of a warm weather soup (but you can heat it a bit - I think it tastes better uncooked)...I found it for the first time at this raw food place called D'lish in Sedona, Arizona...it still tastes super creamy...

Ingredients:
-Avocado (this makes it creamy) - I use one whole one
-Carrot Juice (you can juice it yourself, but that takes forever - easiest is to just use Bolthouse Farms CJ - you can get it at big grocery stores, it is in the fruit section normally - cost $4, and you use about 1/4-1/2 of the bottle, so its not too expensive) - for 1 avocado, I'd use about 1/2-3/4 cup - depending on how big the avocado was

-Apple Juice (I use bottled natural AJ) - about 1/3 of the amount compared to the CJ
-Lime Juice (to taste) - I just get the squeeze bottle of this (it lasts forever)
-ginger (I used to use fresh ginger, but now I just use the powdered stuff cause it doesn't taste any different to me)

I use FLorida avocados (they are bigger than CA avocados - and cheaper)...avocados have fat in them, but it is such a good quality fat...you have to make sure they are ripe, cause when you get them at the grocery store, they are NOT ripe...for me, it takes about a week, I just leave them on the counter and squeeze them once a day...and then when they are ripe, they get a bit squooshy...

And basically, all you do is put it in the blender...
First put in the avocado (don't mix yet)...then put in the CJ/AJ **remember 3:1 ratio CJ to AJ - be sure not to add too much juice or else it will be too liquidy...then mix...finger taste...add the lime (I usually put in about 1-2 tablespoons) and a few sprinkles of ginger...mix a bit more - if you need to add a bit more juice, thats fine, but remember you dont want it too liquidy, and done! Takes 2 minutes to do:)

This picture does not do it justice...

No comments: