Monday, January 19, 2009

Curried Lentils for dinner

Ok, this is DH favorite meal of all the ones that I make for him...
It actually takes longer than 5 minutes - you can do a shortcut if you use canned lentils instead of dried ones...

Ingredients:
White/Brown Quinoa
Fage Yogurt
Green lentils
Raisins
**I meant to put some spinach in there, but forgot, so you can add that also



Start the lentils first...
For 2 people, I measure out exactly 1/2 cup of lentils...put them in the pot with about 1 1/4 cups water (I don't measure the water, just eyeball it...), and boil it...it has to boil for a total of 20 minutes, so if I need to add more water, I'll do it later...I lost the op to my pot, so I boil it without a top on it...let it go for about 10 minutes by itself...then come back, add curry and everglades seasoning (I add a pretty decent amount)...then mix...and let it go for the last 10 minutes...






During the last 10 minutes, I start the quinoa. Quinoa is a really weird grain, not well known, but super super nutritious! Here is some more about it from Wikipedia:
In contemporary times, this crop has become highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (12%–18%), making it a healthful choice for vegetarians and vegans. Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete protein source.[5] It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration manned spaceflights.


You can boil it in a pot, but I'm impatient, so I just stick it in the microwave...

Anyway...for 2 people, I measure out 3/4 cup of quinoa - I use both the brown and white quinoa mixed together (at the store, it is about $3.99/pound, so not too expensive)


then I add about 1 1/2 cup water (again, I just eyeball it)...


I stick it in the microwave for 8 minutes...when done, I stir it around a bit...

if it is a bit watery, I'll put it in for another 2 minutes, if not, I'll use it as is...

Since I usually start the quinoa when there is about 10 minutes left with the lentils, they finish up at the same time...so, I plate it by putting the quinoa on the plate, then the lentils on top - then the most important parts...Fage yogurt and raisins on top...this MAKES the dish...it really is SO yummy!!



Nutritional Information:

No comments: